OUR SCHOOL HISTORY
Charles Bowman came to Canada early in the 1800's from Scotland. In 1824, he travelled to the area known as Darlington Mills and began to purchase tracts of land and businesses. His involvement in the area was so great, that the name of the area was officially changed to Bowmanville in 1853 and it became one of the most important urban areas in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham. Charles Bowman contributed much to Bowmanville, including building a hall for town meetings, donating land and money for the building of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church and St. John’s Anglican Church, and encouraging Scottish immigrants to settle in the area. Charles Bowman has left a lasting imprint on our community, and we are proud to honour him with our new school.
NATURE OF THE SCHOOL
Charles Bowman Public School opened to students September 6th, 2011. An addition opened in September 2015 adding 7 new classrooms for students. Charles Bowman is situated in the northern area of Bowmanville. Several new housing developments surround the school, with multiple new homes being erected in the area. This will add to the school population in the coming years. The school is an all brick two-storey building with 30 classrooms (6 of which are Kindergarten rooms), seminar/work rooms, a large library, and a 30 piece computer lab. All of the classrooms and the library are equipped with SMART-Boards and iPads are utilized regularly with students. The large gymnasium has glass backboards, an attached sound system, a retractable stage, and an electronic curtain that can be lowered to divide the space in half. The grounds consist of a soccer field adjacent to a large paved area with painted games on the asphalt with a full basketball court. There is a fenced and bricked in kindergarten pen skirted by the “Kiss and Ride” drop off area and parking lot.